Working with Images and Graphics
One of the most important parts of working online today is in using, sharing and manipulating high quality graphics. In this video we are going to talk about where we can get some great free images and graphics resources as well as how to create, edit, manipulate and add text to those graphics.
Best Photos Resources
Great Free Image Resources
- Christian Images
- Other Sites
Recommended Image Editors
- Windows / Mac
- Gimp: https://www.gimp.org (Also Linux)
- Adobe Photoshop (Image Editing)
- Adobe Illustrator (Vector Editing)
- Pixelmator: Get from the App Store or http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
- Autodesk Graphic: Get from the App Store or https://graphic.com (Vector Graphics editing: Also for iPad)
Image Types and Advice
- jpeg (jpg): Great for web - Doesn't support Transparency
- png: Good for smaller transparent graphics (Don't use with photos)
- svg: Vector... Not too large if not overly complicated. No problems with resolution!
- Problem? Insecure (See this article: https://bjornjohansen.no/svg-in-wordpress)
- If you wish to use SVG on your site, use the plugin: "Safe SVG"
- Don't use TIFF or RAW images on the Web! They are huge. Export them to jpeg
- Don't use HUGE images. For full page images, use a max of 1600px width. If the images are background images, you can export at a high compression rate to jpg.
Basic Image Editing Skills
- Understanding Layers
- Adding Text
- Cropping and Editing
- Combining Layers
- Erasing Backgrounds
- Transparent Images